Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Twenty-Five Ways of looking at the World"



"I do not know which to prefer

The beauty of inflections

Or the beauty of innuendos,

The blackbird whistling,

Or just after"

-Wallace Stevens


XVI

To avoid the debt of cookies, the brave young soul made a list:

1. Rules in advance.

2. Apply help as needed. repeats if necessary.

3. Laugh it off.

4. Run after ice-cream trucks.

5. Be patient, be kind.

6. Share.

7. Wild imaginations make interesting bedfellows.

8. Never worry, because there will always be someone to pluck off the

nonopopsee's, one by one.


An incredible mentor wrote this as a response to a presentation i made years ago. Thank you Mr. Avitabile.


The list above is just a few of the many things I learned from the kids I worked with over the years. Three in particular: Anna, Abby and Elena, hold a very special place in my heart. I haven't been updated on there whereabouts in a while. Still, I think about the summer we spent together. I have learned so much from them. I learned that children are sensitive to love, that they have the capacity to show affection with nonjudgmental eyes, and open arms. They are strong. The kind of strong that lifts your spirit, carries you through a hard day and embraces you when you've forgotten how. The love of a child is selfless and endearing. It plants within you a sincere desire to serve, smile, laugh and endure. Thanks girls!



Do you remember that summer when

we slept side-by-side

on rainbow hammocks

and ate mangoes under the shade?


Do you remember that summer when

we shared stories

and jumped in oceans in our dreams

and talked,

and talked,

and talked,

until we heard a thud on our door telling us to go to bed?


Do you remember when

the rain fell and flooded

when the rolling thunder

walked on our tin roofs

and rattled us in our beds?


Do you remember when

we sailed on rowboats

that sped and jumped,

and how our bellies jumped too?


I remember, and how I miss

every touch

and every goodnight kiss.

I remember

the way we laughed,

the way we walked,

the way we swam,

the way we loved.


I wont forget those summer nights.


The warmth of gratitude

within me grows

Your love is the greatest

my heart knows.


-Jalipa.







No comments:

Post a Comment